Wednesday, September 8, 2010

First Exam down.....well sort of

So yesterday I had my first exam in Pharmacy School. The exam was for our IBHS class which is Integrate Basic Health Science Class. This class meets 3 times a week and has three different modules each semester. However, each module only has two exams which meant that the exam I took yesterday was 58% of my total module grade. So no pressure, right?!! Well, in case you didn't know Shenandoah is all about their technology and have access to lectures through Itunes and virtual lectures online. So, needless to say, they wanted to expand their technology usage further to enhance the way that we take our exams. So they threw out the standard pen and paper type of exam and introduced us to their Perception software where we submit our exam answers in a secure lockdown program that locks out all other programs to eliminate cheating. Sounds good right, because now you get your exam grade instantly instead of waiting for weeks for the professor to grade them. In theory, I believe this would be a semi-good idea if it would have actually worked. So I am just sitting at my desk going along answering my little questions online and thinking things are going great, and then comes the time to click submit. So I hit the SUBMIT button and guess what appears, (no it is not my exam score), none other than a "fatal error message". So I start to get an uneasy feeling in my stomach and raise my hand for the professor and he comes over and tells me not to panic and just hit the back button to see if it would help if I could resend my answers. Wait, did he really just tell me not to panic, of course losing all my answers that I just spent the last 45 minutes answering is not a cause for panic. So I click the back button as he suggested and guess what appears, not a filled out exam form, but one completely devoid of all my answers (clearly this would be a great time to panic)!



Yet, my professor still does not understand my cause for alarm (really man, you dont understand why I am a little freaked out right now??) Instead, he tells me to just fill out the exam again and he would check into the IT problem and see if he could retrieve my answers. The next thing I know is about half the class is raising their hands with the same problem as I was having. Okay , phew, at least I had other people who were in the same boat as I was in! After 20 minutes of the IT staff trying to figure out why the technology had decided to protest and show us whose boss, the professor finally decided that the only surefire way of us being able to complete our exam would be by doing so the old fashioned way of using pen and paper. What, take a paper exam? That is so last year!! I of course, had no opposition to this method since I actually prefer this method because I am able to cross out answers and write things out. So yesterday instead of taking our first 65 minute exam, I ended up taking a 2 and 1/2 hour exam. The only downside was the really the inability of us being able to receive our exam scores, but due to the issues from the exam the professors have promised to have our exams graded by our 9 am class tomorrow.

Exam 1 down, many many more to go to get that Pharm D.


B.

No comments:

Post a Comment