Sunday, March 13, 2011

Giving Up Only To Gain

This past Wednesday marked the start of this year's season of Lent. For the next 40 days, we will be preparing our hearts and minds for Easter and the celebration of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Through the years, the traditions surrounding Lent have changed and adapted and most individuals give up something that is important in their life. In doing so, one is able to give up something that may be in their way of a stronger relationship with God. Last year, I gave up naps for Lent and the 30 to 45 minutes that I would normally spend napping, I replaced with a devotional or reading from the Bible. Just as Jesus spent the 40 days in the desert in preparation, we spend 40 days in preparation as well. This year for Lent I have decided to give up Soda and Sweets. For those who know me well, know I have a sweet tooth and a Love/Hate relationship with Diet Coke. I absolutely LOVE everything about it and HATE when I do not have it! In giving up these two worldly items, I hope to find myself relying less on worldly possessions and focused more on my relationship with God and in addition turning to prayer when I may be faced with temptations to give in. In this season of Lent, I hope to have the same strength of Jesus when he refused every temptation in the desert.

So Diet Coke and Sweets I will bid you farewell until Easter!



B.

2 comments: