Monday, October 18, 2010

Yum...Yum....Apple Crisp

One of my most favorite fruits to eat is an apple. Be it a green apple, yellow apple, or red apple, I have no prejudices and I will eat them all. My favorites have to be Granny Smith apples, Gala apples, and Golden Delicious apples. Therefore naturally I also love any dessert that has apples in it with my favorite one being an apple crisp dessert. So today I went perusing the World Wide Web for various apple crisp desserts. I came upon a recipe that looked very promising on the food network website: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/neelys/apple-crisp-recipe/index.html. So this recipe is one I adapted from The Neelys on this website.








Filling
  • 6 apples
  • 2 tbs of lemon juice
  • 3/4 cup of light brown sugar
  • 3 tbs of all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup of old fashion oats
Topping
  • 3/4 cup of all purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup of light brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp of ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp of salt
  • 6 tbs of chilled butter
  • 1/4 cup of old fashion oats




To begin with you must prepare the apples. May I suggest you purchase an apple slicer as well as an apple peeler. I have neither of the two and the peeling, slicing, and chopping of these apples took a wee bit longer than the “suggested” prep time of 15 minutes. The recipe calls for 5 Granny Smith apples. After reading the reviews, I decided to use 6 apples and decided to vary my apple selection because of the tartness associated with the green apples and to make it more sweeter.

After cutting the apples and placing them inside the mixing bow, I added squirts of lemon juice to the mixture to keep the apples from turning brown. Then I added the light brown sugar, flour, and oats and mixed it up thoroughly.



After mixing, I added the filling portion to a small pyrex dish and set it aside while i prepared the topping.




The topping part of this crisp was a little more difficult than I had expected, seeing as I have never made a crisp topping before. I first combined the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.





After making this mixture through and through I added a total of 6 tablespoons of chilled butter in small pieces and rolled it around to make pea sized balls. When balls started to form, I added the oatmeal to the mixture and then added it to the top of the filling.






This crisp was baked in the oven preheated to 350 degrees for a total of 35 minutes or until
the crisp topping turns a nice golden brown.




Put a small portion in a bowl and add a little vanilla ice cream and you are in Yum Yum Apple Crisp Heaven!


B.

No comments:

Post a Comment